Parents frequently have this question: My child had a head injury recently; how will he be 10 years later?
Related questions: I had (head) injury 10 years ago; do I have any effects of that now? Will my brain scan show anything? Can my memory problem be due to that?
Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – and found that it can have long term effects.
- Patients with mild – to – moderate TBI are twice as likely to develop attention problems if tested 7 years later
- Severe TBI – 5 times more likely to develop secondary ADHD
- Parenting and Home environment play significant role in recovery
- Severe TBI, optimal environment – these children show few effects
- Milder injury, chaotic home environment – persistent problems
- Early family response important for long-term outcomes
- Children do well, no across – the- board deficits
Testing Intervention & Therapies
The researchers developed a web-based program – provides a family centered training in problem – solving, communication, and self – regulation: this reduces behavioral problems and executive dysfunction
Future Research: to identify genes vital for recovery
also, how these genes interact with environmental factors
Leave a reply →